DCI was honored to present our DCI Downtown Capacity Builders VISTA program at the Colorado Preservation, Inc. (CPI) conference this week. CPI requested DCI’s input in sharing how our Capacity Building VISTA program can assist in strengthening preservation organizations and partners throughout Colorado. DCI was pleased to highlight the work of our VISTA members including Hunter Hovenga, Destinee Lukianoff, and Andrew Wallace in Buena Vista, Leadville, and Trinidad, respectively.
Katy Welter, Founding Chair of Historic Preservation Commission. Worked with VISTA member Hunter Hovenga from August of 2016 to August of 2018 in conjunction with the Town of Buena Vista and the Buena Vista Main Street Program.
The presentations showcased preservation accomplishments including a resulting increase in staffing, funding, and new partnerships developed from our VISTA members’ work in their communities. Some of those other program accomplishments include:
- Linking preservation to economic development,
- Better planning for and creation of historic preservation commissions, recruiting board
members and commissioners,
- Historic structure assessments,
- Architectural guidelines,
- Historic architectural survey,
- Creating programs for adaptive reuse and façade revitalization,
- Linking to DCI’s statewide network,
- Participation in the DCI Colorado Challenge Program, held at the DCI IN THE GAME annual conference.
Destinee Lukianoff, Leadville Main Street Revitalization Specialist during her VISTA term from May 2016 to April 2018. Currently, Destinee is the Administrative Assistant/Leadville Main Street Program Manager for the City of Leadville.
Andrew Wallace, Downtown Development Coordinator VISTA member for the City of Trinidad from September 2017 to September 2018.
Preservation resources highlighted:
- DCI Colorado Challenge Program: A team building accelerator to turn your challenges into opportunities and give you a plan of action.
Destinee Lukianoff in particular used the Challenge Program last year at our 2018 Conference to come up with solutions regarding the fact that many of their projects are smaller in size (8-13 units) and the state and federal funding typically favor bigger developments. Through the Challenge Studio, Destinee was able to identify more resources that help Leadville preserve its heritage and strengthen the community (see examples below).
- Colorado Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy (C-PACE): C-PACE enables owners of eligible commercial and industrial buildings to finance up to 100% of energy efficiency, renewable energy and water conservation eligible improvements. Financing is provided by private capital providers at competitive rates with repayment terms up to 25 years.
- Colorado Housing and Financing Authority (CHFA): Colorado’s authority for tax credits, affordable housing, and partnerships around housing.
- DCI’s Urban Renewal Training and Education: these 101 and 201 sessions educate individuals on the basics of urban renewal and also take the conversation further for more advanced urban renewal practice.
- Colorado Opportunity Zones: The Federal Opportunity Zone (OZ) program provides a federal tax incentive for investors to invest in low-income urban and rural communities through favorable treatment of reinvested capital gains and forgiveness of tax on new capital gains.
- SHF Support for Deferred Maintenance Emergency Fund: Emergency Grants are awarded to provide assistance to significant resources that are in imminent danger of being lost, demolished, or seriously damaged, and when the threat is sudden and unexpected, such as a fire, flood, hail storm, or other act of nature.
- Partners in Preservation National Main Street Competition: Main Streets campaign invites the public to #VoteYourMainStreet to decide which historic sites along 20 of America’s favorite Main Streets should receive $2 million in preservation funding from American Express. The campaign runs from September 24th to October 26th.
For more information on how DCI can help you access a DCI Downtown Capacity Buildiers AmeriCorps VISTA, contact VISTA Leader Andrew Curtis at email@example.com. For other DCI resources including access to our IN THE GAME event and Colorado Challenge Program, please contact Will Cundiff firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can’t wait to participate at next year’s CPI Saving Places Conference where our VISTA members can offer and learn more about historic preservation!